Sunday, July 13, 2008

...liver, with some fava beans and a nice chianti

I've had a quite domesticated weekend. As well as using a wide range of broad bean recipes over the past couple of weeks (including a liver and broad bean risotto - hence the quote, although we had a sauvigonon blanc rather than a chianti), I've been producing fruit based puddings as if there were no tomorrow.

Firstly, strawberry cheesecake ice-cream, and today (in a bid to use up the egg whites left over after the ice cream, so as not to incur the wrath of Gordon Brown because of food wastage), raspberry pavolova. Although SomeBeans described it, rather uncharitably, as raspberry splatlova. I've never made meringue before. The 'Octavia' raspberries were delicious. As were the cream and meringue, obviously ;-)

5 comments:

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

It is fantastic that you have all those nice homegrown vegies and berries, it is the best you can eat, fresh and full of goodness not stored for weeks or even month in cool- and ripening gases, like her it happens now to bananas.Imagin where Bananas grow,I see trucks which say "Banana ripeners".They collect them green and then ripen them in the gas. Fortunately I can grow my own, and they taste like bananas should taste!

HappyMouffetard said...

Wow - growing your own bananas - fantastic!

emmat said...

I'm sending you an Arte y Pico for services to my salivary glands, I can't read your blog too much at the moment as I'm trying to avoid puddings...

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/independent/2008/07/a-nice-green--5.html#more

VP said...

Yumm! You could having splatted the pud a bit more, then served it as Eton Mess instead!

Anonymous said...

Quoting from Thomas Harris' book:

"A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone. Go back to school, little Starling."

Wish the film had stuck to the book. A culture vulture like Lecter wouldn't be seen dead guzzling a common country wine plonk like Chianti. Amarone della Valpolicella is so much more like him.